Dog Poisoning Symptoms and Treatment

Dog Poisoning Symptoms and Treatment

11 February 2014

Dog Poisoning Symptoms

Signs that a dog may have been poisoned are most often drooling, vomiting, fatigue, convulsions, lethargy, and loss of coordination. although there are a great many things that can make a dog become sick, this combination of multiple symptoms in an otherwise healthy animal with no pre-existing medical conditions is symptomatic of poisoning.

The majority of poisoning cases will fall into one of two categories, ingestion of corrosives or ingestion of non-corrosives. For the purpose of providing you with a set of guidelines to follow, the following is the basic first aid for each.

  • Corrosives-do not induce vomiting; give some oil orally, Seek Veterinary Attention.
  • Non-corrosives- induce vomiting and use activated charcoal slurry, Seek Veterinary Attention.

In either instance, perform basic first aid by checking the airway, breathing and circulation. Although some poisons may have no antidote the sooner that it is removed, the less effect it will have, and less irreparable damage it may cause.

How to Induce Vomiting

  • Syrup of ipecae -1/4 to 1 teaspoon per dose but no more than 2 doses. Given with a large syringe, turkey baster or bulb syringe directly into the back of the throat. Hold the snout closed until the dog swallows then release, if done correctly the dog should begin vomiting within minutes.
  • Hydrogen Peroxide 3% (standard)- Mix 1 part Peroxide to 1 part water, use a turkey baster as an applicator and give 1 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of body weight. The dog should begin to vomit within five minutes.
  • Activated Charcoal – DO NOT GIVE CHARCOAL WITH SYRUP OF IPECAC- Available in capsule form and can be administered orally every four hours in two to several ounces of water.
  • Salt- One half to one teaspoon of salt, placed at the back of the tongue.